Tattoo Aftercare Instructions
Two Ways About It...
When it comes to taking care of a tattoo, there are 2 ways to go about it. The Traditional method - and then the "Derm" or "Second Skin" Method.
If your artist put a thin film overtop of your tattoo, you'll want to skip to that section below, or tap the link above.
- One to Two hours after the tattoo is completed, wash with mild hand soap and water. Always pat dry. DO NOT use a washcloth or other abrasive material
- Apply a small amount of your aftercare product (Vitalitree, Hustle Butter, Recovery, etc.) or basic, unscented lotion 3-4 times daily. You only need to make the tattoo shiny with whatever product you use.
- NO tanning (sunburn), soaking, steam, sauna, chlorine water,or dirty water. Do not soak the tattoo in the bathtub, or let the shower directly hit it.
- The tattoo will itch for the duration of the healing period. DO NOT scratch...gently pat the tattoo to alleviate the itching.
- The tattoo will start scabbing and peeling in a few days. DO NOT pick off the scabs. Doing so will result in ink loss. Allow the scabs to fall off naturally.
- Your hands are dirty! Wash your hands before touching your tattoo for any reason for the duration of the healing period.
- Let your artist see the tattoo after it is healed to determine if a touch up is necessary. Your first touch up is free of charge, but should be scheduled right after the tattoo has healed.
Tattoo Derm Instructions
If you are allergic to adhesives such as those commonly found in bandiads, or have a known allergy or reaction to Tegaderm, you should not use Tattoo Derm/Recovery Derm
- Derm should be worn for 3-5 days. The longer it stays on, the better results you will have.
- Derm can be worn in the shower
- Derm can be worn under clothing
- Derm will not fully protect your tattoo from possible infections if submerged underwater. NO BATHSTUBS, HOTTUBS, OR SWIMMING
- Fluids (a mix of plasma, blood, excess ink, and sweat) may collect under the derm. This is normal. If the amount of fluid is uncomfortable or leaking, please stop in to have it drained and a new derm applied.
- This fluid is not harming the tattoo or the hindering the healing process. The ink is not coming out of your tattoo.
- TO REMOVE THE DERM: Removing the derm works best for most people in the shower. place the tattoo under running water and slowly pull the derm layer off of your skin, allowing the running water to help ease it off. It will be mildly uncomfortable, but do not worry, you will not harm the tattoo in any way doing this.
- Once the derm has been removed, clean the tattoo with warm water and antibacterial soap 2-3 times a day, and moisturize with an unscented lotion or tattoo aftercare product.